Photographs by Hilary Swift ,Sept. 29, 2020, 2:59 a.m. ET
When he returned home that night and tried the product, it was so potent that he fell and hit his head in the bathroom. Mr. Cameron texted a friend soon after, saying that he had messed up and would go to a 12-step meeting with a friend that weekend.
“I promise I’m good and I can’t get in any more trouble tonight,” he wrote. “Sweet dreams, if you wake up before you hear from me definitely call me. The sooner I get up and into town the better.” When Mr. Cameron woke up, he used the rest of the powder — largely fentanyl, not heroin, his family would later learn — from a small bag with a bunny stamped on it. Less than five hours after he sent the text, his grandmother found him dead.
TO CONTINUE READING: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/health/coronavirus-overdose-opioids-addi.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20200929&instance_id=22606&nl=toda